The Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association presented the annual Excellence in Craft Awards during its Spring Conference banquet in Franklin, PA on Saturday, May 4, 2013.
Awards Chair Brad Isles distributed awards to 16 individuals in 18 categories. There were 220 total entries.
POWA CORE AWARDS*
1. BEST NEWSPAPER COLUMN (sponsored by Pennsylvania Hunters Sharing the Harvest) – “Survivor: Outwit, Outplay, Outlast Audition” by Tom Tatum published in the Daily Local News on May 9, 2012.
2. BEST NEWSPAPER FEATURE (sponsored by Safari Club International, PA Chapters, Region 25) – “As good as it gets – Elimsport man thrilled with Pa. bull elk harvest” by Jessica Welshans published in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette on Dec. 16, 2012.
3. BEST MAGAZINE OR REGIONAL NEWSPAPER COLUMN (sponsored by Gogal Publishing) – “Ode to an old pole, the man who heaved it” by Terry Brady published in PA Outdoor News on June 22, 2012.
4. BEST MAGAZINE OR REGIONAL NEWSPAPER FEATURE (sponsored by Reed Exhibitions) – “The deerscrape and Old Spice” by Steve Sorensen, published in Deer and Deer Hunting, Sept. 2012.
5. BEST PUBLISHED NEWSPAPER PHOTO, COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE (sponsored by POWA Past Presidents) – Photo of a northern harrier dropping toward a winter meal by Bob Steiner, published in the Oil City Derrick on Jan. 5, 2012.
6. BEST PUBLISHED MAGAZINE PHOTO, COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE (sponsored by POWA EIC Membership) – Quality Whitetails cover by Tim Flanigan, October/November 2012.
7. BEST BOOK AWARD (sponsored by Susquehanna River Trails Association) – “Maple Sugar – “From sap to syrup. The history, lore and how-to behind this sweet treat” by Tim Herd.
8. BEST PUBLISHED ART AWARD, COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE (sponsored by GATCO Sharpeners/Timberline Knives) – “Catching the Wind – German Shorthaired Pointer” by Gerry Putt, PA Game News cover, November 2012.
POWA SPECIALTY AWARDS
1. BASS PRO SHOPS PASS IT ON AWARD (sponsored by Bass Pro Shops) – “Outdoors Offer Kids a Break from Electronics” by Bob & Linda Steiner, published in the Oil City Derrick on Nov. 8, 2012.
2. PENNSYLVANIA TRAPPERS AWARD (sponsored by the Pennsylvania Trappers Association) – “Trapping bobcats: It’s challenging to fill a tag, but not impossible” by Ralph Scherder, published in PA Outdoor News on Dec. 21, 2012.
3. TROUT & THE COLDWATER RESOURCE AWARD (sponsored by Pennsylvania Council of Trout Unlimited) – “Outdoors: Not yet” by Don Feigert published in The (Sharon) Herald on July 8, 2012.
4. YOUTH FISHING AWARD (sponsored by Expositions, Inc.) – “The Future in the Making” by Dave Wolf, published in the Lebanon Daily News on Aug. 5, 2012.
5. YOUTH AND THE HUNTING/SHOOTING SPORTS AWARD (sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) – “Wharton Youth Hunt Blends Fun, Lessons” by Ben Moyer, published in the Uniontown Herald Standard on April 29, 2012.
6. YOUNG TREES HABITAT AWARD (sponsored by the Allegheny Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society) – “Young Trees” by Linda Steiner, published in PA Game News, April 2012.
7. CROSSBOW AWARD (sponsored by the Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation) – “Tight stands for deer” by Rich Faler, published in PA Outdoor Journal, August 2012.
8. WILDLIFE ART AWARD (sponsored by Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art) – “Winter Berry Bandits” by Gerry Putt, PA Game News cover, January 2012.
9. HANDLOADING PROMOTION AWARD FOR PRINT MEDIA (sponsored by Redding Reloading) – “Unlock the accuracy of your favorite gun” by Charlie Burchfield, published in Tri-County on Dec. 23, 2012.
10. HANDLOADING PROMOTION AWARD FOR BROADCAST MEDIA (sponsored by Redding Reloading) – “Reloading 101” Out in the Open broadcast by Alex Zidock, BRCTV13 on May 5, 2012.